June 12th, 2017 Chapter Meeting Highlights
Written by Barb Wiemann, Secretary
- We had a successful Spring Workshop on May 6th, attended by 42 nurses.
- There will be a survey monkey to assess needs and wants of the chapter; please participate when you receive it.
- The National Town Hall meeting was rescheduled to June 14th; topics will include OR Nurse Link, Chapter Accountability Standards (CAS) reports and calculations, Chapter Leadership workshop recap, attracting new members and guideline essentials demonstration. Rorie Chinnock, next year’s President, will report on this in the fall.
- Marilyn Westphal, President reviewed her goals from 2106-17. The chapter membership grew from 234-328 and utilized new means of communication; a chapter website, Facebook, a facility mailing list, and OR Nurse Link. We saw new faces and new members participating in events and on the ballot this year. Congratulations Marilyn on your success with your goals.
- Marilyn also reviewed her year as President:
- Provided 22 contact hours in educational sessions through chapter meetings and workshops.
- Community outreach through donations to seven organizations and volunteering at Feed My Starving Children and the Ronald McDonald House.
- Continued to spread AORN through social media (Twitter, Instagram, & Facebook, website creation through Scanlan, and increased mailings of the Stereoscope (electronic and ground mailings to 45+ facilities).
- Held six chapter meetings with six business meetings, a delegate meeting with several first time attendees to Expo. The transitional Board will be held in two weeks. This year we skipped 3 chapter meetings and held a Saturday “January Jam” meeting with a business meeting. 21 nurses attended. Also held one Board meeting as an email discussion with board and officer members responding to each other.
- The Fall Kickoff September 11th is being planned. The chapter received a $1000.00 grant from National for the event. The speaker will be Lin Bruce, a motivational speaker from Northfield. Her presentation will be “YES I Think I Can!” The grant money for the event will pay for the first 10 first time attendees and the first 10 perioperative 101 students to register. Registration and social time will begin at 5:30pm at Children’s Hospital Education Center, 2nd floor. Registration fee is $25.00. Please look for the registration form for the Kickoff in the next Stereoscope and on OR Nurse Link.
- Need speaker ideas for next year. September is Lin Bruce; October is Anne Jones, RN on legislative issues for MN; November @ 3M; December will be our 50th chapter anniversary.
- Current membership is at 328 members.
- Anne Jones reported a nursing staff bill was introduced during Nurses Week on staffing ratios. The Democrats and one Republican are supporting the bill. The uninsured is down by 4.3% at the National level. Medicare is devastating half of the budget surplus on the uninsured.
- Writers are needed for the speaker summaries and any other articles of interest for our Stereoscope.
- Seeking a new chair for the Community Relations Committee for next year.
- Deadline to submit nominees for awards will be August 1st. Please see the Stereoscope for nomination forms.
- Seeking a new chair or mentee for the Awards/CNOR Committee for next year.
- An email address for the Chapter President was created: firstname.lastname@example.org
Installation of NEW and returning officers and Nominating Committee are President: Rorie Chinnock, President-Elect: Denise Edelmann, Treasurer: Marilyn Westphal, and Secretary: Barb Wiemann. Board of Directors: Michelle Nolander, Caroline Ness, and Anne Jones. The Nominating Committee: Lynette Marks, Stacy Johnson. Leah VanGorp, and Jane Oksnevad.
Comments are closed